Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mexican Horchata


"If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance."

- Bern Williams





The weather right now in Western Washington is just perfect. Sunny with a slight breeze. Heaven. In the warm weather you need more refreshing, delicious things to drink, in my opinion. I enjoyed my watermelon cocktail last weekend so much, I wanted to make something else special to drink.




Since my watermelon cocktail was similar to an agua fresca with some booze added, I had Mexico on my mind. So here's another hispanic drink. Mexican Horchata is a creamy, sweet, rice drink flavored with cinnamon.


Wiki tells me  it's made different ways in different countries. Sesame seeds in Puerto Rico, for instance. In El Salvador it's made with Morro seeds, not rice.



Another interesting tidbit from Wiki is, some Hispanic bars in Southern California use horchata as a mixer in a cocktail known as a "Rice Rocket." The drink is made of two parts horchata, one part coconut-flavored rum, and a dash of Goldschläger over ice. I grew up in Southern Cal, went to plenty of bars, and I never knew that. Sounds delicious. You learn something new everyday.




Seattle from the freeway
For today's totally off topic photo, is a picture of Seattle I took from the freeway, while driving (bad, I know) home from seeing the documentary I AM. Such a great movie. That was the second time I had seen it. If it's playing in your area, and it speaks to you, go see it. You won't be disappointed.
(Just don't go alone and take pictures through your car window while driving.)




Mexican Horchata

this makes about 4 tall glasses

Ingredients

1 cup (185 g.) uncooked white rice

3 sticks cinnamon (mine were about 4 inches long) (make sure they are fresh) plus longer ones for garnishing, if desired

8 1/2 cups (2 liters) water

1/2 to 1 cup (100 g.to 200 g.) sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)

2 tsp vanilla

Instructions

Rinse the rice under a fine mesh strainer. Place the rice, cinnamon sticks, and 2 cups (473 ml) of the water into a large bowl or large measuring cup with a spout (4 cup size or more) and cover.

Place in fridge and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Remove the cinnamon sticks and pour the rice/water mixture into a blender. (I used a Vitamix.) Blend well, for 3-5 minutes or so.

Strain it into a pitcher. Then put the rice/water mixture back into the blender container and add the remaining 6 1/2 cups of water. Add the vanilla then add the sugar. If you don't like things too sweet, add 1/2 cup (100 g.) of the sugar first,  then taste it and see if you want more. If you want it sweeter, add the remaining sugar and blend well again.

Chill, stir, and serve. Over ice is nice too.

Garnish with a cinnamon stick if you want.

10 comments:

Lee said...

This looks good, with simple ingredients I already have, which is always a plus. Thank you for the inspiration.

Helen said...

Interesting. I have always seen this drink, but never tried it. I think I'll try it now, thanks!

Fallon said...

I've never tried horchata before because I'm never sure whats in it. Actually sounds like a nice drink to enjoy after dinner!

I really enjoy checking out your blog, I love your sweet recipes with how different they are. I mentioned you on my blog post this morning, so check it out!

Jessica said...

Yum! Looks delicious!

The Alchemist said...

Lee- Youre welcome :).

Helen- Cool, I hope you enjoy it!

Fallon- Thank you so much, I saw it, that is so sweet, it means alot.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What an interesting recipe. That picture of Seattle is just gorgeous! I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

Michele said...

Love, love love horchata!!! I had a Mexican roommate in college that used to make it this way. So delicious.

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Oooh, I'm gonna have to try this!
Thank you for linking this up to {nifty thrifty things} as well!
Hugs,
Vanessa

Emily Thompson said...

yum! I saw you on melt in your mouth Monday... Wanted to invite you to come on over to my tasty Tuesday link party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/06/authentic-fried-rice-tasty-tuesday-link.html

MelissaDaams said...

i love mexican horchata... much better than spanish horchata... i miss having it so much. it's my go to drink to order at real mexican restaurants... i noticed that the "mexican" restaurants that aren't like "real" you know those chain restaurants... they don't carry horchata. yeah, i know i could make it myself... but there is something about restaurant style horchata... i miss it.